Thursday, April 23, 2009

HTML::FormHandler

When I started on a Catalyst project a year and a half ago I picked Form::Processor for form handling. I liked the architecture and I liked having the form in a Perl class so that I could do more-or-less anything that I wanted to with it. But then there was Moose, and I didn't want to have to switch back and forth between object systems. Plus you can do lots of shiny things with Moose. It's like a big Christmas present with lots of little parts that you can play with for ages...

So I converted Form::Processor to Moose. But it was tough to maintain back compatibility and still use all that Moose-y goodness. In the end it seemed rational to start fresh with a new project: HTML::FormHandler. It has many excellent features, such as being able to define the fields declaratively, and there are plans for many more. Moose continues to be a pleasure to work with. It makes features easy that would have been horrendously difficult without it. Of course, Reaction does wonderful things with Moose too, and is in many ways a more complete solution. But I think that HTML::FormHandler can still fill a niche. This is Perl after all--there has to be more than one way to do things.

No comments: